Marjory Stoneman Douglas: The Everglades: River of Grass “Nature of the Everglades”

“The miracle of the light pours over the green and brown expanse of saw grass and of water, shining and slow-moving below, the grass and water that is the meaning and central fact of the Everglades of Florida” (Douglas 108).
http://cdn.aarp.net/content/dam/travel/destination-images/florida/everglades-national-
park/1400-everglades-national-park-tree.imgcache.rev1409336294425.web.jpg
Without “the grass and water” the Everglades would lose its defining characteristic. Douglas’s literature is descriptive and paints a vivid picture of the Everglades for the reader. I was intrigued by this sentence because I find its simplicity to be extremely powerful. I like the fact it focuses on grass and water as the defining characteristics of the Everglades. I can close my eyes and I can imagine the Florida sun hitting the Everglades water, enclosed by trees, mosses, and grass. They are an ecological beauty.

They have been called “the mysterious Everglades” so long that the phrase is a meaningless platitude” (Douglas 110).
http://floridapolitics.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/everglades-04-21.jpg
Habituation renders something once mysterious, instead, a normality. What do the Everglades mean to Florida citizens who are accustomed to its presence. Besides passing the everglades while going south on I-75, I must admit I have spent little time thinking about them. In fact, when I think of the Everglades I seem to automatically think of alligators and crime television series where human bodies are chopped up and dumped in the Everglades to never again be found. I rarely think of the ecological purpose the stretch of land serves. If I am unaware of their impact on the ecosystem, how can I truly appreciate them? Douglas mentions the Everglades are “still mysterious to everyone by whom their fundamental nature is not understood”.  Mystery, due to lack of knowledge, is still a better alternative than apathy.

“They are the only Everglades in the world” (Douglas 112)
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/8/83/Everglades_swamp.JPG

Douglas emphasizes this several times through his text alluding to the exclusivity of this ecological beauty. If the Everglades are a natural phenomenon isolated to the State of Florida, what is currently being done to preserve them? I believe classes that raise awareness and increase knowledge, such as Colloquium, are pivotal to developing Florida citizens who take a more active role in preserving Florida's natural environment. Regardless of a students major, this increased knowledge can be used to enact change. I personally can make more informed and positive business choices; specifically, choices that do not harm the local environment.