Richard Louv: Last Child in the Woods.
The Nature-Deficit Disorder and the Restorative Environment


“In one of my kindergarten classes, the kids get to run to a fence then run back. That’s their P.E.” (Louv 1).

"Getting kids playing outside with their friends might lead to healthier, more active children."
"http://www.drdavidgeier.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/03/Kids-playing-outside.jpg

I find it saddening and appalling that a child’s physical education course would be confined to running back and forth on a blacktop. In grade school I was required to go outside regularly during recess and physical education. This was a time where my friends and I would play ball together, run around, climb trees, and collect chestnuts that we would then throw at each other. I loved being outside and remember it being the highlight of my day. Play is the work of children and an outdoor environment that does not restrain loud, playful, and expressive behavior is vital to development. The idea of eliminating recess to support more testing within schools is absurd. With rising levels of childhood obesity you would think that promoting physical education would be a priority. Instead, we allow the percentage of students to engage in physical education to be a low 28% and offer students pre-frozen, fast food for breakfast and lunch. 

“In an agricultural society, or during a time of exploration and settlement, or hunting and gathering-which is to say, most of mankind’s history-energetic boys were particularly prized for their strength, speed, and agility” (Louv, 4).


http://www.energeticgym.com.au/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Gymfun-at-Energetic-Gymnast1.jpg

I agree young boys and girls should be provided with an outlet for their high energy level. I remember having a hard time as a young student sitting for long periods of time in the classroom, much less concentrating for long periods of time on classwork. Even now as a 22 year-old man I find myself losing focus after an hour’s worth of lecture. I believe school systems impose their own agenda’s, test score and district placement, without taking into consideration a child’s developmental needs. Children are expected to conform to a classroom environment that rewards obedience and a calm disposition. Children, most often boys, who have high energy levels and who engage in “disruptive” and “bad” behavior are labeled by teachers and often receive negative reinforcement. Although I have not researched nature therapy for ADHD and do not personally have the diagnosis, being outside was an important part of my childhood.

“My son is still on Ritalin, but he’s so much calmer in the outdoors that we’re seriously considering moving to the mountains,” one mother tells me. Could it simply be that he needs more physical activity? “No, he gets that, in sports,” she says” (Louv 4).
"Let them Play in the Woods!"
http://playborhood.com/wp-content/uploads/kids_play_grass.jpg

I find the idea that nature, not simply the physical activities pursued outdoors, having a calming effect on a child diagnosed with ADHD to be interesting. Yet, the idea that nature is calming does not surprise me. About two years ago, my parents came to visit me from Hungary around finals week. I felt extremely overwhelmed by my scholastic obligations and my desire to spend time with my parents that I only get to see a couple times a year. My parents decided it would be fun to visit a nature trail down Six Mile Cypress in Ft. Myers. We walked down the trail and enjoyed the nature for around an hour. My stress level was significantly less than it was previous to the nature walk and it remains a special moment I shared with my parents.